What is the 3500 Campaign?
- According to the Housing Affordability Study done by Black Hills Knowledge Network, nearly 25% of local households are paying more 50% of their income toward their mortgage.
- The goal of the 3500 campaign is to build awareness of the need for affordable homeownership in the Rapid City area.
How can I get involved?
- Spread the word and advocate about the need for affordable housing. You can even use our hashtag: #3500homes
- Give toward affordable housing
- Get involved to ensure affordable housing is available for all.
What is Advocacy?
Habitat for Humanity defines advocacy as changing policies and systems to eliminate barriers to adequate, affordable housing in order to create a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
Smart policies and systems can promote access to decent housing, while other policies and systems may create unnecessary barriers. These barriers may make it harder than it needs to be to find land for construction, build the home itself or be able to afford a place to live.
Just like building, advocating for smart policies and systems is a way to create a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
In short, because it works.
Advocating on behalf of those living in poor conditions is a priority for Habitat. We wholeheartedly believe that a decent place to live can remove barriers to opportunity, success and health that might have been part of a family’s life for years, if not generations.
To address that level of need, we invite you to advocate with us for housing policies and systems that address the global need for housing.