VeteransPlus has joined in a national partnership with Habitat for Humanity. VeteransPlus offers veteran-to-veteran financial coaching. Veterans applying for a home create an account and can load their military and financial documents onto VeteransPlus’ highly secured network. They can particapate in free financial coaching for up to a year; even if they do not qualify for a Habitat home. For more information on creating a VeteransPlus account with Habitat please contact our office.
Four Core Components
Provide simple, decent and affordable housing opportunities for military service members and veterans to improve their current housing or to become homeowners.
We empower military members, veterans and their families to join forces and serve with and in honor of veterans through various volunteering opportunities.
We offer financial and homeownership education opportunities to veterans struggling to build assets or just to make ends meet.
We advocate for veteran and military families by raising awareness about challenges they face and the opportunities available to them.
Our ways of serving you:
Veterans interested in becoming homeowners are encouraged to attend one of our informational meetings. Meetings will be held at 9 am on the following days:
Saturday, October 22
Please RSVP by calling 605-348-9196
Skill sets gained from military service are highly valued at Black Hills Area Habitat! Veterans are encouraged to volunteer in the following ways: SPA
- On the construction site
- At one of our ReStore Outlet locations
- Serving on a committee
- Working in the office
- Providing meals for our construction crews
- At one of our events
Other Resources for Veterans:
- Is a veteran you know in danger of being homeless? If so, please contact VA’s National Call Center for Homeless Veterans at 1-877-4AID-VET. You will reach a trained VA responder who can connect you with the resources VA offers through these and many other programs.
- Goodwill of the Great Plains Connection Center: The connection center offers various services related to education, technology and networking. Job search assistance, resume development and workshops are among other free services provided at the Goodwill Connection Center.
- Give An Hour: Give an Hour offers free mental health services to our military veterans and their families.
- Love Inc.: Life Inc. offers a variety of classes that focus on Parenting, Strengthening Families, Bridges to Freedom, Financial Freedom, Jobs for life, Best of Dave Ramsey, Nutrition on a budget, Christianity Explored, and Money 101.
- Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program: YRRP host a variety of events throughout the deployment cycle. There are events held for pre, during and post deployment and family members are strongly encouraged to come as well. Events focus on topics ranging from education and employment to mental health.
- National Service: The Corporation for National and Community service researched the benefits of volunteerism. The article states that “the study found that volunteering is associated with a 27% higher odds of employment.”
- Military One Source: Military One Source is a confidential Department of Defense-funded program providing comprehensive information on every aspect of military life at no cost to active duty, Guard and Reserve Component members, and their families. Information includes, but is not limited to, Money Management, Relationships, spouse employment and education, parenting and child care, and much more.
Habitat for Humanity is dedicated to ending poverty housing all over the world. In 2012, Habitat for Humanity sent a special Global Village team for a Vietnam Veterans Build. These participants were veterans who have served in Vietnam and went back to Vietnam to build a Habitat home for a family in need. This video is the story of one veteran, named Richard Moyer, who participated in this once in a lifetime experience.
To learn more about Habitat’s Global Village opportunities click HERE. If you would like to be a part of the next Vietnam Veterans Build trip please email gro.m1498676832antei1498676832vtati1498676832bah@o1498676832fni1498676832 for more information.