Interested in serving as an AmeriCorps member with Black Hills Area Habitat for Humanity? We are always looking for individuals interested in serving through AmeriCorps. Member terms begin each August and require a one year commitment. Approved position descriptions are posted each spring.
Please note that acceptance into the program is subject to official position approval, a background check and applicant approval from Habitat for Humanity International.
What is AmeriCorps?
AmeriCorps is a national service program that provides thousands of Americans of all ages and backgrounds an opportunity to meet critical community needs. At Black Hills Area Habitat for Humanity, AmeriCorps members play an essential role in transforming the lives of the families and individuals we serve. AmeriCorps members are selected from across the nation to commit to one year of service. Our program allows members to serve their community, learn new things, make new friends and have fun!
Our mission in conjunction with AmeriCorps is:
- to provide low-income families with affordable housing
- to promote the wellness of the community and the Nation
- to provide a setting for growth and development for AmeriCorps members
To find out about the AmeriCorps National Direct program and for additional FAQ’s about the AmeriCorps program, please visit the HFHI web page at http://www.habitat.org/americorps/ or check out the following fact sheets:
AmeriCorps National member benefits include:
- Living allowance up to $12,530 for a full term of service.
- $5,730 Education Award. The Segal Education Award is good for 7 years from the end of service and can be used to repay qualified student loans or for future education at eligible schools. National members over 55 may be eligible to transfer the award to certain family members.
- Possible forbearance of qualified student loans. Note that interest continues to accrue. However accrued interest on qualified loans is eligible for payment by the National Service Trust.
- Health plan benefits. Members are eligible to enroll in a Affordable Care Act compliant health plan.
- Personal and sick days. Approximately 10 days total.
- Worker’s compensation.
- Childcare benefits if you qualify.
- Member Assistance Program offering services such as counseling and financial planning resources.
- Upon completion of your service, you will become a member of the Habitat Alumni Association. Visit www.habitat.org/americorps/alums for more information about benefits and opportunities.