Black Hills Area Habitat for Humanity is a nonprofit ecumenical Christian ministry founded in 1990, as part of the global movement of Habitat for Humanity International. Habitat seeks to eliminate poverty housing by constructing simple, decent, affordable houses with families in need who partner with Habitat through sweat equity. Habitat works in partnership with people from all walks of life to build and pay for the materials for the houses. Each home is constructed and funded by the community for the community, through thousands of volunteer hours, in-kind contributions of materials and professional services, along with individual and corporate donations.
- Houses 85 through 91 are under construction.
- Contributed directly to assisting 50 families in developing countries through our tithe to Habitat International.
- ReStore Outlet has two locations:
- 610 E. Omaha, Rapid City (Hours of operation: Tuesday- Saturday 9 am – 5 pm)
- 2915 E. Colorado Blvd. Spearfish (Hours of operation Thursday- Saturday 9 am – 5 pm)
- ReStore Construction Salvage Center moved to ReStore Outlet to divert usable building materials from the waste stream.
- Actively building in Spearfish, Custer, Rapid City, and Box Elder communities.
- Average 50-75 volunteers per week and an estimated 12,000 volunteer hours per year.
- Dozens of corporate sponsors including: Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, Lowe’s, Wells Fargo Bank, U.S. Bancorp, Knecht Home Center, Black Hills Power, Liberty Superstores, Pioneer Bank, Black Hills Federal Credit Union, First Interstate Bank, Assurant Solutions, Premier Bankcard.
- Partner with the City of Rapid City; Recipient of Community Development Block Grant.
- Partner with South Dakota Housing Development Administration (SDHDA) and USDA Rural Development.
- Partner with Sturgis Brown High School and Rural Development using the Geometry in Construction curriculum. House #4 under construction.
- Current home costs: approximately $100,000
- Over 300 people permanently housed in the Black Hills Area.
- Annual property taxes paid by Black Hills Habitat homeowners over $100,000.
- Value of Habitat homes in the Black Hills Area: over $9 million.
Tithe/ Global Village
- Over 50 families served internationally through our tithe.
- Local volunteer teams have served in: Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Vietnam, Portugal, and Guatemala.
- Join a Global Village team, or launch your own, click here for more info.